Thursday, September 4, 2008

Delight In Difficulties?!

9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10 NIV)

Just like Paul, I’ve lived through weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecution and difficulty, even though I’m young. As long as I live in this temporary world, I will be experiencing hardship, persecution, difficulty etc - I can’t run away from them that easily! I couldn't imagine what Paul felt at that moment when he finally understood that God’s grace truly was sufficient in his life. I know I felt relief reading this scripture, and overflowed with joy realising that the same grace that was provided for Paul, is also provided for me.

I am so glad I was reminded of this truth while reading What happens when women walk in faith by Lysa TerKeurst. I haven’t had the happiest days this week; I’ve actually had quite the opposite. I know that hurdles will always be placed in the race I’m running. The reward at the end of the race is so worth it though, I can’t give up now, even if it may be the easier option. I am thankful that God’s grace is enough, and that He is holding my hand, and won’t let me stumble (Psalm 37:24). He is running the race with me!

I know I will probably forget the value of this scripture during my struggles - I am only human after all. It is so good to know I have a merciful and caring God. I continue to pray that God will be my strength, and shelter, and that He will indeed guide each step I take, one day at a time according to His purpose for my life.

Yours in Christ,
Becky

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so true, becky!
i hope to see you sometime soon.. keep up the great blogging :)
love rachel

Natalie said...

God bless you beck...

love nat

JMBMOMMY said...

Our sermon was about just this--as our pastor started going through one of Paul's letters today. Wow, to view difficulties in our lives as one more way that God is working in us and for His glory to move the spreading of the gospel forward---completely radical thinking. And rightly so, it is only possible with Christ living through us! Our flesh will choose every time to throw a pity party, right?